Tuesday, April 6, 2010

So You Think You Can Garden...

Part of the reason I write this blog is because I really enjoy writing.  It's a skill I neglected for a while after leaving MtA and my english degree behind in exchange for propagating plants and turning soil, but something I never forgot and am now back at.  Someone the other day mentioned to me about how much they enjoy the blog and that I should do more writing and I responded without thinking, "Yeah, I'd love to make a living from writing."  I'm not sure I've ever said that out loud before, or even meant it at that moment, but ever since it slipped it out, it's been on my mind. 
So it seemed pretty curious when last night I opened up our internet browser and up popped a contest to become a blogger for Canadian Gardening.  There are hundreds of entries and I'm sure with my relatively limited experience I don't stand much of a chance, but as I hurriedly threw together an entry (deadline is today) I fell in love with the idea of being able to support myself writing about things I love.  I didn't have a lot of time to browse the other entrants entries but it was clear that most of them were focused on flowers versus food.  I also know that Canadian Gardening (as with most gardening magazines) is more about 'beds' versus 'gardens', but I think that in this world of uncertain food times, there is a move afoot to go back to basics and learn how to produce our own grub.  So I made that the point of my entry.  It's probably another reason I won't win...ticking off the flower lovers, those rose-fanatics and gladiola corm-loving seniors. 
Anyway, if you want to check out my entry (or any of the others) it's HERE.  I got an email from Canadian Gardening telling me that getting my friends to go read it and comment might help my chances of winning, but I'm optimistic that surely this contest is not that frivolous and that is just a blatant attempt to get more readers to the Canadian Gardening page. 
And if you think I'm naive enough to imagine that the $500 dollar prize is enough to 'support myself', rest assured, I have carried a mortgage long enough to know better, but one blogging role could lead to the next right? 

Hope this finds you basking in this ever-fresh first true warmth of spring (and not thinking about the dry summer ahead).

Sally

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping to see a picture of your gradener assistants. New glasses on one and I suspect the other is getting his sea legs aright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked out your entry...wow...I noticed 568 viewers looked at it. How does that compare with your blog readership? I guess you couldn't blatantly put in some free advertising by naming your farm uh? Good luck. I wish the judges would turn to your blog though...to really capture the essence of you, and the voice you bring to your writing.

    And I agree with Anonymous (who ever that old lady is..hee, hee. speaking as one who just had her own birthday) I've been checking in to see some updated pics of the kids. SOME of us DO NOT have facebook accounts!!

    ReplyDelete